We are inviting artists/creatives to come and join us for an exploratory evening here at our HQ, The Edge on Thursday 16th February, (2012); We recently advertised a post here at Friction and were overwhelmed by a stunning volume of very passionate and creative people, mostly from our region, that we were unaware of. Therefore we decided to have an evening where these people and other interested creatives could come and spend some time with us, meet other like-minded people and explore the possibilities of how individuals and groups might want to engage with Friction and our space ‘The Edge’.
We’ve never been good at accepting help, we always want people to get as much out of any work they do, as they put into into it – and we can’t afford hordes of staff on our very tight budgets. What we can offer, however, is a wealth of experience in project and event management, art and participation, arts in the public realm, a very special venue and lots of fun. Back in the day, Vivid, then more of a film-makers support agency than it is now, had a great system. Volunteers would work for them, earning credits, which could then be used towards using their production facilities, equipment hire, etc, and we are putting together a similar system here.
What we need:
- Administrative help
- Project and event management help
- Venue maintenance and development help
- Project delivery help
- Interviewers for our two-year oral history project
- Artists and makers to help us build exhibitions and installations
- Performers – (in the widest sense of the word) for our events and interventions
- Front of house staff – for our events
What we can offer:
- Training in all of the above (we’ve been doing this stuff for 20 years)
- Credits towards equipment hire
- Credits towards hiring our venue, the Edge
- Credits towards training and mentoring (our artist/directors have had a hand in designing training initiatives such as Fierce’s Metapod and Creative Alliance’s programmes and we’re founders of CA), career and personal/practice development
- Credits towards developing your own events, festivals and projects (helping you throughout the process)
- Credits towards help in developing funding bids
- Credits towards anything else we can help you with
So, if any of this interests you, and you’d like to find out more, we’re hosting a volunteers event on Thursday 16th February 2012, from 6.30 at the Edge, 79-81 Cheapside, Deritend, B12 0QH. We’ll be telling you more about all the exciting projects that we’re doing this year, more about the ‘volunteer offer’ and we’ll be providing refreshments of course. You may have your own ideas – bring them with you! If you’d like to attend, please RSVP to email@example.com, so we have an idea of how many chairs to put out.
see you there!